Sunday, April 5, 2015

Shoot to Illustrate: Too Much Tech?

Are we overwhelmed with technology??

I got my first cell phone (Moto RAZR V3 flip phone) when I was 15 way way back in 2006. I also had a GameBoy. And that was it. I was satisfied. But now, with new iPhones, iPads, Galaxy's and everything else suffering new yearly releases, I'm pretty overwhelmed. 
(I tend to keep all my old stuff) 

I don't think it's a coincidence that with each new gadget I obtain there has been a drop in my productivity. It takes longer to upload and edit photos, write essays, play video games and watch movies, play music, surf the web... All of my devices can do all of those things.... so which do I use and for what tasks? I also have adhd which, in my case, makes it hard to commit to any one device, therefore nothing gets done until I can calm down and decide which gadget to use. (Latley, I've been sticking pretty close to my iPad and 3DS.)

I assume most other people don't keep every single old device, that might just be a Mayberry thing, but despite that, I think the whole world is suffering from this in some degree or another. At this point in time, moms and dads are buying in to the yearly updates and giving their "old" stuff to their kids... so now everyone from 3 to 18 seems to have an old iPod, iPhone or tablet. My, how times have changed. It has been proven that devices can distract (See New York Times article below for more info). That's what I wanted to take a picture of - and I can't think of anyone who had accumulated more tech than myself - So this is kind of  a self-portrait.



ISO: 3200, 20mm, f/3.5, Shutter: 1/50


Featuring my iMac and it's second monitor, MacBook Pro, iPad mini 2, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5s, Nintendo 3DS and my iPod classic.

I'm editing photos, reading email, logging onto Netflix, playing iTunes, Super Smash Bros, more music from the iPod, watching YouTube on the iPad and editing important school essays on the MacBook.  WHEW! too much to do. I think I'll take a break and check my FaceBook, Twitter, Pintrist and text messages.


Further reading:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/opinion/can-students-have-too-much-tech.html?_r=0





BONUS PHOTOS!!!

I used a home-made light to light the scene.



1 comment:

  1. Great concept. How can this be compressed to reduce its busyness and increase its impact?

    ReplyDelete